1. Place chocolate in a large bowl over a double boiler and stir until melted then let cool. Beat cream until soft peaks and set aside. Separately, whip egg whites until soft peaks and slowly add in sugar while continuing to whip until firm peaks. Fold the egg whites into the chocolate and then fold in the cream. Refrigerate in a piping bag for later.
2. For the ginger crumb, cream butter and sugar. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Spread out onto a try and flatten. Bake at 180 for 15min. Once cooked break up biscuit and blend it into a course crumb, let cool.
3. Add ginger wine, saffron, castor sugar, star anise, 50ml water, orange peel and juice into a pressure cooker and simmer over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Once dissolved add in pears and ensure they are covered in liquid – if not add in warm water and more ginger wine. Cover pears and get them to pressure. Once at pressure-cook for 8min. Once cooked, release pressure and remove pears from cooker and let cool.
4. Retain half of the liquid from the pressure cooker and strain into small pot and reduce to form a thicker syrup.
5. To assemble, pipe chocolate mousse into the cooled pears and place on plate. Using a pastry brush add the extra syrup onto the outside of the pears. Sprinkle crumb around the pear.
This recipe has been supplied to TVNZ by the My Kitchen Rules contestants. TVNZ has not tested this recipe and results may differ from those expected.